View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Tim

You have to be careful with this premise of yours, as it has an underlying fallacy......
"The proof again for me is that at no time in the T206 run did they print both 150-350 and 350 Only subjects at the same time."

From the printer's viewpoint at American Litho (ALC), in the Summer of 1910, all 48 Southern Lger's (SL) were no longer 150/350
subjects. They were simply 350 series subjects, since ALC had then switched to printing PIEDMONT 350 backs on all 48 SL cards.

TED Z
Ted my premise is not a fallacy. The 48 Southern League players were not printed at the same time as 350 Only players. Yes they both exist with Piedmont 350 backs but they were not printed at the same time. I'm not sure how that statement is a fallacy.

After the Southern League players were pulled from printing there was another print run before the 350 Only players were introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Since the COUPON Tobacco Co. was a new acquisition by ATC, they most likely cobbled together in a hurry this COUPON set to get
these cards out to the New Orleans factory. So, some smart designer at ALC checked-out the Sporting News (or a Reach BB Guide)
and selected 20 ballplayers (from the 48 Southern Lger's) that played in the Southern Association.....and, included them along with
the 48 Major Leaguers to create the T213-1 set. It's simply as neat as that. It's not "Rocket Science"
It might not be "Rocket Science" but it doesn't take wild speculation to figure it out either. The Coupon set was being marketed in the heart of the Southern Association and there were 20 available images on hand at ALC of Southern Association players that had been used in the T206 set. In fact 8 of these 20 did not play in the Southern Association in 1910. They were all selected in early 1909 to be included in the T206 set. So no smart designer needed to grab a guide and decide who to include in the T213-1 set. They had long before been chosen.

So without getting off on too many tangents please answer this one question before we move on:

Was there a time in the printing of the T206 set that the Southern Association players were being printed simultaneously with the 350 Only players?

**I edited this for the sake of accuracy. I originally posted that 10 of the 20 Southern Association players did not play in the league in 1910. The correct number is 8 as two remained in the league but played for different teams than the one listed on their card in the T213-1 set.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 01-29-2011 at 04:56 PM.