View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default A 6-year odyssey....AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 sub-set....74 cards complete (I think)

In 2005, I decided to break-up my 2nd set of T206's (521 cards) to start putting together an all PIEDMONT set of T206's. I began to trade off (or sell) all
non-PIEDMONT cards (approx. 350-T206's) from this set. In the process, this Zach Wheat card with the AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 (AB 460) back caught my
interest, as it was the only AB 460 card in my set. It got me to thinking.....how really tough are these AB 460 cards ? Well, I found out, as I embarked on
collecting this subset. I was able to complete a 519-card all-PIEDMONT set by the end of 2005. Now, after 6 years, I think I've completed an AB 460 set.

As a consequence of my experience in putting together this sub-set, I have observed a definite pattern regarding the AB 460 cards and the UZIT cards.
That is, 28 subjects from the 350/460 series share identical fronts between these two T-brands. This "twin effect" is not just a coincidence, but was the
manner in which American Litho. printed these cards at the end of the T206 press runs in the Spring of 1911.
Furthermore, there is mutual exclusivity between the Red HINDU and AB 460 cards in the 350/460 series. This factor tells us that these 28 - AB 460 cards
from the 350/460 series are final. And, with all 46 subjects from the 460-only series found with the AB 460 back. I feel quite certain that this AB 460 set
is complete with 74 cards.

Of course, this remains to be seen, and I might be proven wrong. So, please check-out your T206 collections for any AB 460 cards that are not listed here.

[linked image][linked image]

These 5 cards have eluded me for most of this 6-year odyssey; but, I finally acquired them in this past year.

[linked image][linked image]

AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 checklist = 74 cards

350/460 Series.......................... 28 cards

Berger
Bradley (bat)
Burch (fielding)
Cobb (bat off shoulder)
Conroy (bat)
Crawford (bat)
Jennings (one hand)
Jennings (two hands)
Jordan (bat)
Lajoie (bat)
Lake (no ball)
Leach (cap)
Leifield (bat)
Manning (pitching)
McQuillan (bat)
Mullin (bat)
Overall (yellow sky)
Pelty (vertical)
Pfeister (throwing)
F. Smith (Chicago & Boston)

Steinfeldt (bat)
Tinker (bat off)
Wagner (bat on right shoulder)
Doc White (pitching)
Wilhelm (bat)
Willetts
Willis (bat)
Wiltse (pitching)

460-only Series......................... 46 cards

Abbaticcio (blue sleeves)
Ball (Cleveland)
Bell (pitching)
Bescher (arms above)
Bergen (catching)
Bridwell (portrait-cap)
Camnitz (arms at side)
Camnitz (arms up)
Chance (bat)
Chase (trophy)
Crandall (portrait-cap)
Devore
Doyle (portrait)
Duffy
Ford
Frill
Gandil
Geyer
Herzog (Boston)
Howell (hands at waist)

Hummell
Lake (with ball)
Latham
Marquard (follow thru)
McGraw (portrait-cap)
McGraw (glove at hip)
Merkle (throwing)
Meyers (portrait)
Murray (portrait)
Needham
Oldring (bat)
Overall (blue sky)
Payne
Pfeffer
Schaefer (Washington)
Schulte (back view)
Schlei (portrait)
Schlei (bat)
Seymour (portrait)
Sheckard (glove)

H. Smith (Brooklyn)
Stovall (bat)
Tannehill (Chicago)
Tinker (bat on)
Wheat
Wiltse (portrait-cap)

Thanks to everyone on Net54....and, especially Scot Reader, Frank Wakefield, Brian Weisner, Art Martineau, and Jim Rivera, who have helped me in various
ways (cards, info, etc.) these past 6 years in putting together this AB 460 set.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 11-29-2017 at 03:02 PM.