View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Rob,

It is not a piece of memorabilia, but a card for me. I was putting together my E90-1 American Caramel set in the 1980's. Most of the cards were not that expensive at the time except for the Mitchell. Anyways, I completed the set and upgraded most cards (including Mitchell) 2 or 3 times before I ever saw a Jackson. Remember, the Jackson was worth less than many of the rare cards at the time (Graham, Stahl, Sweeney, Duffy, Walsh, etc.) - it may have booked for $100 or maybe even less. But, for the life of me, I could never find one for my set.

At one of the late 1980's Nationals, Chris Benjamin (of non-sport fame) had a nice one on his table. He was always expensive on his baseball cards and this was not an exception. I ended up buying the card at a crazy price. I swear that a half a dozen of them popped up in the following six months. None as nice as the one I had, but literally at 20% of the price that I paid.

Today, I still have a soft spot for that card, but it is certainly not as difficult as I once thought it was, at least in low to mid grade.