View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
GaryPassamonte

The reverse of both the black and red versions of the Reds I've seen list 126 Nassau St as P&S's address which would indicate an 1870 issue date. However, a CdV version of the 69 Reds shows 22 Ann St as the P&S address. I believe Ann St was an address used between the 105 Nassau St address and the 126 Nassau St address. If this is true the CdV versions with the P&S advertising ( and possibly the purplish ink on the reverse ) would predate the more elaborate P&S cards.
At first glance it would seem that P&S issued the CdV version first, sometime before 5/1/1870 because of the Ann St address. Probably due to the success of this promotion P&S decided to expand their scope and issue more elaborate versions of the Reds as well as the aforementioned other teams on the 1871 sales list. This makes sense bcause the Reds were at the height of their popularity in 1869/70 and the most famous team in America.
Where the Creighton card fits into this I don't know. It seems the probabilty for it being issued before the team cards is small if the back has an 126 Nassau St address. It was more than likely issued at the same time or, as Jay suggested later. The odd thing is that it isn't on the 1871 sales list. This suggests that it may have been issued later.