View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM

Default nice piece, nice cards

Patrick, Now that's how to display a card collection...I'm not a card guy but that's the best display of cards I recall...that's realizing they're display potential!

But I am a poster guy and that supplement is interesting, not to mention it looks great...Based on the size you gave of the frame, I'm guessing it's about 20" tall...Is that printed on newspaper stock? Is there, or can you recall if there was any printing on the back?...Newspaper art supplments seem to have been a regular practice of newspapers from around 1900-1910..The ones I've seen are usually about 18" x 12"...so yours is extra large. The whole subject of newspaper art supplments would make a good study sometime. Below is one I have put out by the Chicago Tribune and is the typical format I've seen...inside the mat it's 17" x 10 1/2"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
I few years back, I picked up a large San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Supplement dated March 28, 1909. It's titled, "THE CATCHER WAITING FOR A HIGH ONE." It has a postal cancel for Stanford University 1909. It has the artist name, HERSHFIELD, noted on the lower right corner of the supplement.

Just prior to buying the supplement, I picked up a beautiful 24" X 28.5" oak frame, and I decided it would be perfect for the supplement. I had it matted and framed with new glass. Yesterday, a friend snapped a few photos of the framed piece. It sits above my Waddall display case that my houses my PCL E-card collection. So here are the photos I promised of the completed piece a few years back.

Patrick