View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Travis W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Thanks for the response.

What I have found in this as well as others from the era is that you can find some great condition cards with some small back damage. Remember, post war collecting was still somewhat new and I would guess most kids didn't know what to do with them. I have found a number of 6 or 7 fronts with small glue spots on the back for almost nothing. That doesn't bother me too much.

I once paid less thatn a dollar for a 52 Bobby Thompson in this condition. Also $3 for a George Kell the same way. While I want to see the backs they were basic text at this point and neither Topps nor Bowman had done much in design on backs yet so in this regard I think it could keep the pricing down. Just my own personal opinion but I know others prefer higher grade backs and that's cool too.

Keep it up and keep them comming.

Drew
always a pleasure to respond to comments I agree that if a card's got a really nice front and something up with the back it isn't gonna bug me too much. The one that I've found a number of is clean fronts and some wax stains on the back. So I'm like "yup, that was in the back of the pack" But big deal...there's some wax on it...to me its kinda cool. It reminds you how cards used to be and how they came and how much different it is from the gaudy monstrosities that are issued today!

To be honest, whether its new or old or in between, I've never really seen a card where I'm just like "man, that's a really cool back!" (OK admittedly all the different issues in the T cards are kinda cool...) So if the clean is front I'm usually happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
The '52 Bowman set I think is the most interesting of all Bowman sets & is my favorite because of all the unique poses. I have had a complete set since I bought the cards in penny packs back in the day.

Here are just a few that I had SGC grade a yr or so ago that I thought you might enjoy seeing.
Gosh dammit...another keyboard ruined by copious amounts of drool...I gotta get one of those plastic cover thingies like they put on all the keyboards in grade school. That Mantle is freakin gorgeous (and the others aren't too shabby either). And the fact that you're the original owner of them (I'm assuming, since you said you busted em outta penny packs) just makes it all the more impressive because it's clear you took really good care of them over the years. Thanks for sharing man, those are truly awesome!