View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Larry

I'm sorry, Almostdone. I've resisted for days adding to this thread because I just can't stay within its confines, but can resist no more. Best looking Mantle card: '53-'55 Dormand Bat on shoulder pose. Just a gorgeous image of a very young Mick under powder blue skies at old Yankee Stadium, ready to conquer all! Card that best captures his youthful rookie image: '51-'53 era Exhibit (date of card based on "Made in USA" legend at lower right bottom of card; pic actually taken during his '51 rookie season).

And concerning any contention that Mantle was overrated (Hi, Frank!), if anyone else has read Bill James books at length, it's interesting to note that Mantle, in the course of his career, created more than 200% of the runs created by the average player during the time his career spanned, even including his down years in the mid to late '60's, when he was playing with a bad shoulder and two bad knees. He was one of just seven, I believe, to achieve that level, with Williams No. 1 and Ruth No. 2. Others include Cobb, Gehrig, Hornsby and Jackson. Ruth created more runs than Williams, but the league average was also higher during the era in which he played. Aaron and Mays, as great as they were, were each in the 180% range. As James once noted, Mays' stats superficially appeared to approximately match Mantle's when they were both in their primes, but Willie walked far less, and consequently was making 70 or so more outs per year than Mantle. Of course, Willie's total production exceeded the Mick's, based on his greater longevity. James consequently has Willie ranked as the 3rd best player of all time, with Mantle No.6. Mick's legend has an extremely sound factual foundation.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-07-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Spelling--haven't won a spelling bee since 3rd grade