View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I knew of baseball as a game, of course, but never knew anything of cards when I was very young untill the summer of 1978. I was 6 years old at the time and my older brother was injured badly in an accident that put him in the hospital for over a week. The associate pastor at our church bought him a full box of 1978 Topps cards that he opened and looked through while in recovery. Our family didn't have any money to buy other cards after that for a while so my brother and I knew everyone of those cards back and forth. That was the year Topps put a game on the back and we played it constantly. I learned to flip, sort and count with those cards but more important I learned to love these small cardboard treasures of my boyhood heroes.
After that I picked up a pack here and there until high school then got a complete set of Topps every year. In 1990 I stated to follow a young player in Seattle named Griffey and that's when I went nuts on cards until about 1995. Like most I realized there was not value to keep and couldn't keep up with it. So I abandoned it until about 2001 when a friend introduced me to Ebay and vintage cards. Form then on its been a passion and a hobby.
But every time I see any card from 1978 I can tell you wats on the back. Good thread!!
Drew