View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Ryan Christoff

I guess it's all a matter of perspective because I thought the Negro League items went fairly low, with the exception of that program. The Phil. Stars postcard went for quite a bit more than the last one that came up for auction, but I thought that one was a steal. This one sold closer to what I feel it "should" have gone for.

Most of the better Negro League items in the last Hake's auction were indeed won by one very low-profile, very serious collector. But I do not believe that was the case in REA. I'm not sure he was even bidding at all.

The one item I got went for much less than I was expecting it to.

The Dihigo/Wilson postcard went for right around where I thought it would, although I didn't win it.

The 1924 "Colored World Series" panorama was maybe a little high, but I've seen it sell for higher in the past.

Other than those, I thought most of the other Negro League items sold on the lower end of what I would have expected. Especially the cards.

I think the results would have been VERY different had that one bidder participated. He may well have, but I really don't think so.

-Ryan