View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 AM
pete ullman

I began collecting cards in 1975-1976 at the age of 6-7...I first acquired a small stash of 1970 topps...which led to buying packs in late 1976 or so. I started compiling sets in 1977 and did this until 1982 when the market was becoming crowded with sets other than topps. My dad would ask his coworkers if their sons(who had gone off to college) had any bb cards they didn't want...and through this I was able to acquire most significant cards from 1957-present. I had a huge bider or two with hof'ers and stars of the day...all in sheets in chronological order.

I purchased my first t206 at a card show in 1980 or so...and had a handful or two of vintage(pre-wwII) cards when I sold my collection in high school to fund the purchase of a bitchin' camaro. I kept maybe 30 cards from my childhood collection.

In college my roommates and I started buying packs of upper deck cards which led me back to the hobby.

I vowed to never buy cards I once owned so I went in the direction of vintage...and haven't looked back.