View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Barry Sloate

I bought my first pack late in the summer of 1958, when I was six years old (I know I've told this story before). The one card I distinctly remember getting was the Ted Williams All-Star. I didn't know what All-Star meant but I did think all the stars against the red background looked cool. I continued buying packs in 1959, peaked in 1960, and continued sporadically from 1961-63. Then in 1964 the Beatles came and my money was spent on LP's and 45's.

But here's a childhood memory I have that I think others might find pretty interesting. Around 1960 I was at my friend Lenny's house and I was looking at his older brother's shoebox of childhood baseball cards. And I remember with absolute certainty they were 1952 Topps. And here's the part that I couldn't explain then and understand today: the cards were in numerical order, and the run was nearly complete up to about #300. And then inexplicably there were only a smattering of cards throughout the numbers above #300. My eight year old mind wondered why he was missing so many of those cards when he had nearly all the others. It was my introduction to the 52 high numbers and how scarce they were, but at the time I couldn't explain it.