View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomman1961 View Post
I have found that you can get a nice jump by buying a lot. I have about 15 cards to go to completion. I find that in the common low numbers, there are some harder to get at a "cheap" price. For example, #4, 6.8,53,72,79,and 80 do not come up on eBay as much as others.Just my experience.Here's a nice debate.Is your set complete without the Na$ty hi-number$? Same card front. A master set has to have the front variations like the Greenberg and Lombardi $pelling$ and Mahaffey, Babich........
Thanks for the note Tomman1961...only a few months in and this set is certainly proving a challenge as you alluded to above. It seems like certain cards are readily available in nice condition and very inexpensive (Red Lucas and Cliff Bolton come immediately to mind!). Others...well not so much.
I am inclined to be happy if I only get the low numbers for this set...I really could care less if I have the hi #'s since they are duplicate fronts to what exist in the low #s. It would be nice if I could find some lots to consider, but because I'm looking at mid- to high-grade with emphasis on centering, I'm afraid I'd get some of what I want in the lot but a lot that falls outside my standards. Dare I say I'm becoming a cardboard snob...ugh.
As for this set missing the Ruth and Gehrig, that is one of the reasons I was drawn to the set...beautiful cards, no cards completely out of my financial reach (Grove and Greenburg/Greenberg notwithstanding) and, believe it or not, I beleive this set has the highest percentage of Hall of Famers of any set in the 1930's. While I would love to own a Ruth and/or a Gehrig, I would hate to have them standing in the way of my compelting a set...in this case, I'm aiming for PSA 5-6 in quality...a similar graded Ruth or Gehrig is going to go for several thousand dollars. Right now, the worst card I'm looking at is a $600-900 Greenberg/Greenburg (don't care which I get).
Now for my sad story...I have been lucky enough to knock out some really nicely centered PSA 6's of Hornsby, Traynor and Foxx and had been on the lookout for a nice Ott...I finally found one and negotiated a fair price. It arrived this week and, thanks to our friends at the USPS, the case was cracked...badly. The folks I bought it from have been very good so far and it's been sent back. Hopeing they can resubmit and the card itself wasn't damaged. We'll see...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.