View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Travis W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure if this is helping or hurting my descision on trying for this set someday.
Mantle is always the wild factor. Sometimes a card in the worst shape (ie paper loss, holes, writing, etc) always seem to shot up in price just because it is him. It almost seems like there are fewer of them out there so people will pay above book $ just to own it. It's frustrating in putting together any 50's set with him because you know going into it that there just won't be a hidden deal somewhere to wait for.
Anyway keep the posts and I'll keep debating.
Drew
I'd say go for it if it's a set that you like and feel like would be fun and rewarding to put together. Thus far Mantle has been the only one I've come across where the prices have been kinda outlandish. Everything else is pretty reasonable. Don't let one card ruin it for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Which is a wonderful reason to collect '54 Topps...no Mantle!
'54 and '55 are both sans Mantle, and what's cool about those two sets is they both have some very big key cards that more than make up for the lack of the Mick. '54 you've got the rookie cards of Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks and Al Kaline, and in '55 you've got Clemente, Koufax and Killebrew. I put the '55 set together as my first project and really enjoyed it and I didn't find the lack of a Mantle really detracted from the reward of completing the set

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I went that route when I put together the 55 Topps set a feww years ago. I like the 52 bowman because it has Mantle, Mays and Musial. Musial being my favorite of the three. It would take some time and patience but I think in time the set would be worth the work. Don't you?
I definitely think that it'd be worth it. I mean I got a nice head start with a couple of decent sized lots to start off the '52 Bowman set but now I've slowed down a lot and its more of a thing where I just get a card here and a card there. I'm in no rush and I am enjoying the journey of putting it together. I imagine when I'm finished I'll have that great sense of accomplishment and will be chomping at the bit to start on my next project!