View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
In defense of the original poster, he started off just by asking for opinions on the ball, not slamming Lou or his company.

It was only when Lou responded that he never sold the ball, that the original poster added the scan of the receipt (kudos to him for saving it for 11 years!!).

I didn't see it as doing anything wrong by the original poster.
Thanks Scott for the backup.

As stated earlier, my goal for this thread was to hopefully get a feel from the forum whether the signature might be good or bad.....comments either way were fine as they would help with my decision of shipping it off to the 'experts'. If the majority of the feedback from the forum came back negative (as it has), I would save the authentication fees and write the ball off as a 'stupid tax' (as financial guru Dave Ramsey would say), learn a valuable lesson and regret not doing more 'homework' on the signature back in early 2000. That's it, period.

I haven't contacted Lou directly yet and haven't spoken to him since he wrote up the receipt for the ball over the phone back in 2000, but I'm planning on contacting him off the forum within the next couple days. I never had negative intentions with this thread towards Lou or his company and NEVER had the goal of a refund in mind (Holy Crap, it's been 11 years!!). I praise Lou for standing behind the ball now, as that says a lot about his character. Personally, as a collector with a young family, I have limited funds for collecting & authenticating and at this point, I definitely wouldn't turn down anything monetarily offered by Lou (if JSA or PSA were to 'fail' the signature and then send me a letter of rejection.....as I would fully expect, now.....a waste of money IMO).

As a side note from my perspective, I've never heard anything negative about ITPC in my past 13 years in the hobby after college, I always enjoyed reading their ads in SCD and I wouldn't hesitate from buying anything from them in the future....they always advertise cool stuff.

I'm expecting (depending on JSA/PSA) the fate of this 'Gehrig ball' to be death at some point in the near future....I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks to the forum for the response,

Matt