View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Well, they are talking about the catcher not being able to block the plate at all. He would have to apply a sweep tag, just like every other baseman.

No barrelling into the catcher and the catcher gets called for interference if he blatantly blocks the plate.
There's plenty of force plays at second where some partial blocking goes on. And completely blocking the plate is already supposed to be against the rules, it's just not enforced.

I think a change in equipment or actually enforcing the current rules as written would be better than a change in rules. (Also make the middle infielders actually be on second while holding the ball during double plays)

Anyone who plays catcher has to be durable. They also have to know when to take a hit and when to move. I ended up being the catcher for the softball team I was on because the other two guys got hurt In consecutive innings. One left a foot on the plate like a first baseman and got a broken ankle for his trouble (Should have been blocking or moving instead of stretching) The other took a foul tip in a very uncomfortable spot. After a couple games I stopped wearing the chest protector and shin guards as it was just too big a nuisance getting them on and off. 4 years- 0 collisions. Maybe a couple guys that didn't try to score because they didn't want a collision with a guy that wouldn't wear the pads.

Requiring better pads or just allowing better pads - Like the better helmets/faceguards and the throat protectors that became common after that one guy took a chunk of broken bat in the throat- That should help a lot.

Steve B