View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I admit I am quite surprised by the poll numbers too. I would have thought the #2 spot would have been the #1 spot by quite a bit and that is the spot I fell into. That is when my (little bit of) discretionary income and boredom set in . It's hard to imagine so many on the board started collecting PRE-War/vintage so young and never stopped. Thanks for all who have responded so far...and sorry for my tangent of going off topic....Those early little league days bring back some very fond memories (obviously). regards
What you've got to remember is that in the 70's when I was in my early teen's, pre war stuff was readily available at flea markets. It was available at garage sales, and it was cheap. I got a whole scrapbook full of newspaper clippings from pre WW2 with several cards, including a Bottomley Goudey in it for $5 once. So if you were a kid like me who loved baseball you'd buy it. I had friends of my dad give me their cards from when they were kids. People just gave away the 70's cards to who ever would take them.

It wasn't until the Beckett annual guide came out around 1980 that the casual person had any idea cards might be worth something some day.