View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Craig Diamond

Default T206 set

I finished a set of 518 around 2000 in about vg condition. I guess it took about 7 years or so and at one time I had about 1000 different front and back combinations.

I remember buying 100 cards lots in g-vg for $8-10/card in SCD, helped fill a lot of holes in the set quickly. I bought a Demmitt in about f-g on Ebay for about $350. I remember winning a group of 40 Cycle backs in an auction (Festberg I think) including a Cy Young for about $400. When I got down to the last 60-70 cards, I picked 'em off one by one from Ebay, all raw.

When Topps began the first year of T206 inserts (2001?), they were buying cards from many dealers around the country. I was looking to sell my set and caught wind of it. I ended up calling Topps directly and negotiating a deal to sell them 500 cards, including several HOFers, SLers, etc. I was heading to NY and brought them with me for delivery. Topps cut me a nice check (based on prices at that time) and then sent me a 1099 the next spring.

It was lots of fun building the set, kinda fun selling it and in selling it, I'd like to think I helped quite a few younger or newer collectors get excited about the T206 set. Long live the Monster!

Craig