View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 AM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
James --

I agree it's a nice enough card other than that- and it's priced fair from I guy I've bought from successfully in the past, so don't confuse my question with one about this particular card/sale. My question is more general, about SGC's grading philosophy. It clearly states to get an SGC 20, 30, or 40, the card needs to be 90/10. This one is certainly not, so it should have maxed out at an SGC 10.

So I guess my question is, if I send in a card that would get a "PSA 4 (MC)" that had 100/0 centering, what would I expect SGC to grade it? I always figured it would get an SGC 10 - I thought their grading scale was pretty rigorous. If it was a nice card with a pen mark on the back, it would certainly get a 10 from SGC, from what I've seen.

Take Care,
Geno
Much like anything else centering is just part of the grade and they grade on a case by case basis. So it's not a firm rule.

If you sent in a mint card with a stray pen mark on the back it would not get a 10 I don't think.

I have several nice SGC 40 cards with some minor paper loss and they are graded right, it just depends. I feel those "rules" are general guidelines and not the end all be all.

James G