View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

Dealers have to realize that selling individual items on two venues that don't have a shared databse for inventory is bad practice. Especially if one venue enforces the sale/auction as a binding contract as Ebay does. The only eventual outcome is situations like this. If you're selling something easily replaceable like dvds or anything still in production it's fine but for collectibles it's not.

I had a similar situation in reverse with Historicauctions. Won an Ebay item for a very low bid on a Sunday night. Then they reneged saying they had sold the item friday and hadn't had a chance to remove the auction.
A maybe 5 minute process and they couldn't get to it for 3 days? That's either BS or very poor organization. And all they offered was free shipping on some overpriced autographs with no certs which I didn't have any interest in anyway. First negative I've left in a decade on Ebay, and the nonperforming seller complaint got them suspended or banned altogether.

Unless I could automate the retraction of the auction or make a sale pending the retraction I would never offer something both on Ebay and somewhere else. (People ending auctions early bugs me too, but that's more of a gray area.)

Steve B