Thread: 3000 for Jeter
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

Alex Rodriguez always struck me as a good player with great skills. Great players make everyone around them better, and he just doesn't do that. Great personal stats but not much else. Despite the flashy numbers losing followed him everywhere, even to NY. Remember, his ball slapping interference call had a bit to do with the sox winning in 2004. (Plus the silly Arod, I rod whatever letter plus a few from the last name fad started with him maybe not his idea, but I'll blame him anyway)

Jeter on the other hand has always seemed to be one of those guys that finds a way to win. And he's always taken the hard times boston fans have given him very well. When asked about the "Nomars better" or "overrated" jeers he said he expected it and that on some level he enjoyed it because the bad players never got that sort of attention. It's tough to dislike a guy like that, even one in pinstripes.
Still not sure about "greatest Yankee" or even top 10 but certainly one of the best of his era. consistently above average even when other shortstops have been better briefly- Nomar, Tejada, Rodriguez, probably a couple others with great 2-3 year stretches. But they all faded or moved.

Steve B