Thread: Contraction
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Here's a novel idea: aim the cameras at the game. I hate watching baseball on Fox because of how piss-poor the direction is. Close-up shot of the batter, CU of the pitcher, CU of the dugout, CU of a fan, two seconds of action, repeat. You'd never know there are players in the field, defensive positions being set, etc.
Best thing ever said. And you have to listen to Mr. Obvious and Joe Buck...

Contraction...in my opinion just about the worst thing you can do for baseball.

Let's see.

Arizona - they have a pretty new stadium and are in 2nd place right now. They have a solid fan base.
Pittsburgh - They're in first place in the Central. They have pretty good attendance. Need I say more?
Washington - They have a brand new stadium. It's not like they won't spend money if you forced them to.
Seattle - This is probably one of the most outrageous ideas. Anybody who lives within Washington, Montana, Idado, Oregon, British Columbia (or Jays fans) and Alaska are Mariners fans.
Toronto - You're going to take away the only team Canada has? Isn't MLB becoming more international?
Cleveland - Nothing against getting rid of this place.
Baltimore - Baltimore has always been a good place for baseball. If the DC area has 2 baseball teams, you're getting rid of both?
Kansas City - They have an optimistic future and don't have the worst fan base.
Tampa Bay - No argument here.
Oakland - Oakland is going to have a new stadium in a few years downtown. Billy Beane is eventually going to get fired and then they will get back to winning again. They had good attendance before they removed the upper deck. They made it so you either got a terrible bleacher seat or spent a lot of money to sit downstairs. It won't be this way for long.
Florida - Well.....I wouldn't be disappointed.

And why should anybody have an issue with what players are paid? If say Albert Pujols = 25 million per year and the money the team makes off him is 40 million, (just an example, not sure about the actual numbers) why wouldn't you do it? It's a business. You didn't buy a baseball team to become a millionaire. They charge the most they can while low enough that they get it as full as possible. They want to generate the most revenue possible. If anybody has a problem with this, just don't go.

Last edited by Brendan; 07-19-2011 at 09:17 AM.