View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Rich Klein

Default Cautionary Note

Don't be so sure that just a pre-1981 price guide at $29.95 is a permanent answer. Suprisiingly; I would have kept the price point at $44.95 or 49.95 because I would know that my audience is less than it was before and most of the people who care about vintage should be able to afford that price point.

I have a suspeiciion that F&W will find the audience more limited than they believe and I would be concerned about the sales of this book going forward.

The good news is that for F&W the book is a known title with a long history; but a standard catalog that stops in 1980 is not complete any more

My guesstimation is that for this year --- sales will be OK but will start to dwindle in future years as the materials that can be added are reasonably small.

In addition; when Krause back in the boom days of the hobby tried a "vintage" only price guide; the sales were so bad that they never tried another copy of that book.

My guesstimation is that they will sell between 1500 and 2500 copies of that book (I hope I'm wrong for their sake).

I do not know if "we" are the target audience for such a book. If so, and if F&W is happy with that type of sales -- then the SC has a nice future. But if not; we may be looking at the swan song.

Remember when you are eliminating the modern collectior; you are eliminating the vast majority of potential buyers

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 07-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.