View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Graig Kreindler

There's always talk of DiMaggio's hitting streak being completely bulletproof, especially after reading about the statistics that Stephen Jay Gould came up with regarding the thing. Here's a piece he wrote about it in 1988:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/arch...ak-of-streaks/

For whatever reason, it always seems to me like it could be beaten, especially when modern players start getting into the mid-to-high 30s (Rollins, Castillo, Utley, etc.). But of course at that point, the media scrutiny would probably be overwhelming, and I can't imagine the pressure not getting to them. If it got to DiMaggio in '41, back when the press wasn't ANYTHING like it is today, then I can't even imagine the modern day equivalent. So, I suppose when I consider all of that, it's pretty darn safe.

For my money, I think the one record that will never be touched is Cy Young's career win total. And heck, even his loss total. 511-316?? I mean, that stat becomes more and more incredible as pitcher's inning counts become more and more 'important' to development of talent. Well, not saying that they aren't important, but I think you know what I mean.

Anywho...

Here's another photo I picked up:

A lovely shot of Jim Palmer during his no-hitter from August 13, 1969 - only FOUR days after coming off of the disabled list. It reminded me of that Koufax shot I did a while back, so I though it would make a cool painting, too!

Weeee!

Graig