View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Since the presented situation says I don't need the cash, I would just hold onto them. That's based on the guess that I must have been in pretty good shape financially to begin with if I had an extra $20k to spend on baseball cards.
Well, you probably spent way less than $20k back 25 or 30 years...But capital gains are an entirely different topic.

This is what I have been doing with my cards - just holding on to them because I have no real reason to sell them. It's also the crux of this thread: Will they outperform the market over the next 10+ years? steve b made an excellent point in that the details matter. Which cards, in what condition, and what investments will you make if you sell the cards?

I guess the question should be more about the baseball card market and less about comparison vs other investments. Baseball card sales track with the economy, I suppose, but beyond that what can we expect? I would think that baby boomers have created some of the strong demand that fuels card value, as they reached middle age and beyond with disposable income and memories of Willie, Mickey and the Duke in their heads. But when those boomers start to disappear, and families sell off collections, we may see more supply than demand for post-war Topps superstars.

my eBay auctions

Last edited by xdrx; 08-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.