View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Hypocrites - Topps uses ATT cards they never issued to promote Topps...like T206 "Buybacks"...

Cheers,
Blair
Yes, but the t206 cards predate copyright, and so they exist in the public domain. Topps or anyone else can use them as promotional giveaways or however they please. Leaf, however, is using a copyrighted image/artwork for their own gain, i.e. to sell more of their product with the allure of winning the card. This isn't even a case of fair use, since they have not altered the original, nor are they using for educational purposes. They are profiting from something owned by another company, which is illegal unless they pay a licensing fee or royalty to Topps. I've worked extensively in documentary film, and dealt constantly with licensing images and footage for films. I've learned all the loopholes, and in this case, it ain't even close. Leaf absolutely violated Topp's copyright, regardless if they are the big guy on the block harassing the little guy, it doesn't matter. They are absolutely in the right, and I hope they win.