View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
I'm going to hijack this thread for a little bit, because I think it is related to the original spirit of the post. So the T206 Beaumont is actually a "faded red?????" Is that correct???

Attachment 44735

Okay then, a couple of questions......

First question, since the T206 Beaumont has an obvious pin-hole, one would assume this card was exposed to light for a longggggg period of time. Would direct light and/or exposure to moisture alone make the red disappear???? Is that even possible??? Or perhaps, it was in a shed with exposure to chemical fumes??? Would fumes alone eliminate the red without impacting any other color???

Second question, when I first saw the card, I assumed that the "red" circle around the pinhole was perhaps caused by a thumbtack, which maybe held this card in a prominent place on a boys bedroom wall. But under a loupe, it is obvious that the red around the pinhole was made at the factory. I made the grand assumption that when originally printed, the red ink was running way low and only printed on that spot (which would make it a bullseye for a kid with a thumbtack), while the rest of the card printed orange. Is this theory even possible (for only a spot on a T206 card to print red while the rest prints orange)???

Any info would be lovely.

Lovely Day...
Most red inks fade badly in sunlight. If it was tacked up near a window that's about how it would look. Fading of the red, with a bit of fading on the other colors except black. (most black inks of the era used carbon for the color and don't fade.) And the area under the tack got no light so no fading.

Steve B