View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
Getting back to the topic. In your opinion, who was correct? If one grading company states a card is trimmed, but another slabs it, in most cases, who is correct? Or is there that much of a gray area?

Basically, my question would be is it more likely for a TPG to determine a clean card is trimmed, or is it more likely that a TPG slab a trimmed card as clean? In my particular case, I was almost positive a card I returned was trimmed. Thanks.
I'm going to give an un-PC answer, but what is my personal belief. I think it is more likely that either TPG (SGC or PSA) will slab a trimmed card if the value isn't worth much (i.e., submitted at a lower service level). I personally think at lower service levels, graders zip through the cards faster, and therefore some cards get missed. At higher service levels, graders are a lot more cautious, and will move the benefit of the doubt to trimmed. For example, for the attached Cracker Jack Joe Jackson, why is this card Authentic with the Unaltered comment? If a card isn't altered, if if it doesn't meet Minimum Size Requirements, shouldn't it get a number grade, a la diamond cut cards. More to the point, have you ever seen an Unaltered comment on the flip for a card with a value under $500? Again, I think PSA would slab this card as Authentic also because of minimum size requirement even if they didn't detect any trimming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cj_jackson.jpg (37.8 KB, 92 views)