View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

Just curious Richard. Where is the placement of Stengel's signature on those Met items ?

Perhaps during his Yankee days, he wasn't approached until after all the prominent spots were taken, and wasn't willing for settle for such limited choices.

Just a thought. I have absolutely no knowledge of the man's degree of vanity.
In my own collection I have 1962,63 and 64 Mets team signed baseballs.
Stengel is on the sweet spot on every ball.
If my memory is right, he was on the sweet spot of every Mets ball I have seen from those years.
I also have a HOF plak (and have seen several more) which he signed on the front and back and on the back he wrote "Become a rooter for the New York Mets" (I might be paraphrasing a bit here as I don't have that plak in front of me now).
And while it is true that Mantle and Berra signatures are on the sweet spot of many Yankee baseballs from the 1960's that is not the case in the 1950's.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-25-2011 at 07:27 AM.