View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
What about other? Josh Gibson would've broken it if he was allowed in the major leagues. There were also other African-Americans that would have a shot in the 50+ years they weren't allowed in the big leagues. For the options shown, however, I chose Ruth.
He could have? So could a lot of people. With all due respect to Josh Gibson, he didn't play in the major leagues so he certainly doesn't hold the MLB homerun record. If baseball was around in 1,200 BCE I'm sure we would have someone who hit more than seventy-three homeruns. Maybe there was some ancient man who had all the skills of a great homerun hitter, but since baseball didn't exist he couldn't play in the major leagues. Is he the rightful single season MLB homerun champ? Of course not. We can always make these little excuses about why someone should/shouldn't hold the record. In my mind, look at who has the most homeruns in a single season- Barry Bonds with 73. I don't care how he did it as long as he hit 73 homers. All other information is immaterial.