View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Josh Alpert

Why is it important to try to remove the tape? Even if you got it off, there will be a tape stain that will be equally unsightly, but at least right now, the stock is mostly intact.

A hairblower will not help remove tape or anything else off a card.

Bestine is designed to remove rubber cement, it will not remove the tape any better than soaking the card in water and hoping the tape's adhesion breaks down. The stickers referenced in the previous post - they would have come off with a water soak.

With the vast majority of Venezuelan cards, if you are buying them from a US source, it is a good assumption that the best effort to remove anything stuck to the card has already been attempted. That tape looks like someone already played around with it, trying to get it off. You can see what looks like scraping right above the "L.," in "Cal.,". It looks as if the surface stock may have even been torn there a little bit.

I have dealt with thousands of Venezuelan cards, I know how to get a lot of things off them, but tape is one that that just won't go away no matter what. Kevin S. claimed he had some chemical potion that could remove it, but he was tight lipped about it, and I have my doubts unless given the compound's formula and attempt it myself.