View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Doug Doremus

Default Bestine results--

I got the can of Bestine and tried it first on two '52 Bowman beaters with cello-tape on the backs.
Both cards got pretty much fully soaked, and I used a cottonswab as an applicator and to repeatedly work the Bestine in. I'd say about 75% of the actual tape did come off, though the tape stains did remain, perhaps lightened a bit. Only where there was existing paper loss did any paper come off. Nothing fell off; I gently used my nails to get under the tape. In the end, after numerous applications, some of the tape still stubbornly remained.

I then tried it on the Stengel, immersing and working repeatedly on the lower left corner. The tape on this card had already been removed; I was trying to remove whatever of the tape stains I could. This card was definitely stained as a result of the Bestine, as you can see in the scan below. I don't think it removed much of the tape stain, if any, particularly in the back where there still seems to be a very thin layer of tape despite repeated applications.

I myself would not use Bestine on a valuable card unless I were willing to stain it. You also run the risk of tearing more paper off--where yours is torn--and of course if it were graded I presume it would be "altered."

I'm not sorry I experimented, though; I think Bestine will have its occasional uses. So thanks for the tip, bbcard1.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-6-2011 12;12;27 PM.jpg (78.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 11-6-2011 12;12;29 PM.jpg (76.8 KB, 95 views)