View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Why isn't the T206 several different sets based on the backs like so many other sets listed in the Standard Catalog of BB Cards ( ie. E92 Croft's, Dockman & Sons, etc, E94 Blome's, Chocolate etc). These are separate sets, not part of a total set. Seems to me like each cigarette brand would be a separate set.
1. The same images are used across all series (for the most part)
2. The various series/back combinations can't be tied to a single year range (Polar Bear, for instance), other than the total of 1909-11

I think of it as a huge set with subsets. If you like, collect some of the subsets - I'm personally working on two series-backs subsets at the moment, and it's a lot of fun.

As Leon said, Burdick did the ground-work, and a damned good job. He could have broken them up into separate sets, but didn't. I like the way it its, but certainly you could have gone other routes;for instance, 150, 350, 350-460, 460, except for the 'year range' issue. I think the fact that the same images are used (for most cards) across all series and across all backs, is the strongest case for a single T206 set.