View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Brian T.

It is a fair question, but a loaded one. Because you ask why they are all "T206", you are asking why the guy who invested calling them that chose to group them all together. Since he isn't around any more, the answer is "just because he chose to do so". So, that's the short answer. On a more philosophical level, however, I can certainly see your point since there is a lot of duplication of imagery elsewhere as well. The truth is that there are many sets that can be looked at differently with different subsets vs. being entirely different sets unto their own. That said, you are free to group collections / sets in any way that you see fit. There is nothing wrong with saying that you have a complete set of T206 Polar Bear backs, for example. I suppose that Burdick could have gone the "T206a" route like he did (for other reasons) in the E91 set, but he didn't. I'd imagine it was the continuity of production by ATC that made him choose to do it the way he did, but I'd defer to Tim Cathey (Abravefan11) or Jim Rivera (cfc1909) since their knowledge of the set FAR exceeds my own.

When you think of it, though, it is really quite astounding to contemplate the job that Burdick did. Think about how difficult it would be to create something like that without the use of the internet. Think about that for a minute. Hopping on a forum like this that connects thousands of people from all across the planet hugely increases our understanding of what has been produced and is available. To think that he was able to know of and catalog so many incredibly scarce sets is nothing short of mind boggling.