View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Mikeknapp

Default News Photo Press Stamping

I have been collecting news photos for a number of years and recently purchased this 1923 photo of Pie Traynor. I haven't ever come across this press stamping prior to this. It is attributed to Service Bureau National League of Professional B.B. Club 12 West 40th Street New York, N.Y. There isn't much resource/reference material available on news photos that I am aware of other than A Portrait of Baseball Photography published by MastroNet in 2005. I reviewed that book and found information on the American League Service Bureau founded by Henry P. Edwards in 1928. But there was no mention of the Service Bureau National League of Professional B.B. Club. The date stamping on the photo is 1923 which is obviously before Edwards founded the American League Service Bureau. The MastroNet book indicates that the Chicago Sun was one of the major clients of the American League Service Bureau. My photo is from the archives of the ChicagoTribune. I am curious if perhaps the Service Bureau National League of Professional B.B. Club was an earlier effort by Edwards? Has anyone else come across this stamping or have any information pertaining to it? Is there is updated version of the MastroNet book or similar reference material currently available?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pie_Traynor.jpg (78.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg stamping.jpg (77.5 KB, 75 views)