View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Graig Kreindler

I'm sure that this trend will continue and grow over the years, especially because of people like John Rogers. Most of these companies have millions of images in their photo morgues literally collecting dust, and when someone like John comes along, offers to purchase the originals and digitize them ALL for free as an incentive, it's hard to say 'no'. Granted, I don't think you'll be seeing the Daily News or the New York Times do anything like that in the near future, but as we get deeper and deeper into the digital age, I'm sure the trend will continue with a plethora of newspapers.

This of course, could be good and bad for collectors. Obviously, it'll be nice to have all of these new images to see and fall in love with, especially for someone like myself who's not so much into the collecting aspect. But at the same time, someone who is buying photos for investment purposes might want to keep in mind that the flooding of the market with these finds can certainly adversely effect the prices. One might not see much change in the prices for photos by people like Conlon, Bain and Thompson, but certainly some of the postwar guys - Emmons is a prime example - will probably drop to very reasonable figures.

Just some food for thought...

Graig