View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Default 2011 Favorite Pick-Up

On the memorabilia side, my favorite 2011 pick-up would be a small collection of letters that were written to Bill Watkins, many during his tenure with Detroit (1885-88). When combined with the Robert Leadley / Robert Allen letters I already had (from Rhys Yeakley's famous find), I have a nice run of team stationary from 1885, 1886, 1888 (National League) and 1889 (International Association).

The letters are loaded with interesting content with several dating to when Detroit purchased the Western League Indianapolis team on 6/15/1885. This brought Watkins and most of the Indy team to Detroit, including Sam Thompson. When Keenan & McKeon failed to report/sign, the total cost to Detroit dropped from $5000 to $2000 (not a bad price for Sam Thompson, Deacon McGuire, Sam Crane, Dan Casey, and others). Furthermore, the Western League collapsed without its best team (Indy) and allowed Detroit to snag Lady Baldwin from the disbanded Milwaukee club. Near the end of 1885 baseball season, Detroit would also purchase the Buffalo club, sending the "Big 4" to Detroit (Brouthers, Richardson, Rowe, & White). Unfortunately, no content on the Big 4 to be found in the letters but still plenty of interesting tidbits (here is a sampling):
INDIANAPOLIS, July 16 1885
Mr. W. H. Watkins
Detroit Mich

Dear Sir:
When the Base Ball Club left here, Crane owed us $140.00 on the advance Money he got. McQueery 12.40, as you know as well as we do their Contracts read “The Advance Money to be kept from their Salaries at the rate of 40.00 each pay day, until settled”, & we now kindly ask you to attend to this for us, & remit amount due to date. Glad the Club is doing so well. Has Collins been released? Are you going to keep 4 Pitchers? Awaiting to hear from you.

Where is Poorman?

Yours Truly
Indlps Base Ball Club
S. E. Rauh Secy & Treas
In a letter dated 8/2/1885 (Team secretary Robert Leadley to Bill Watkins):
Anything relative to the financial business of the Club, you & I can settle between us, it is not necessary for Messrs Marsh and Stearns to stick in their oars. Those two, especially Stearns make me tired, this of course is confidential.
Baldwin taking good care of himself. Dr thinks next year he’ll be a great pitcher if he doesn’t over do this season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Letter Head Compilation v2.jpg (73.6 KB, 272 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers