View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post
I've been actively collecting for over 40 years, and 2011 was absolutely one of my very best for great finds at shows, shops and online. The best sports items included 1914 and 1915 World Series programs, a 1935 Kool Cigarettes Kentucky Derby radio broadcast advertising sign, a program for the 1977 "Rudy" Notre Dame-Georgia Tech football game and a 2001 post-9/11 Kevin Millwood Atlanta Braves jersey (perhaps the one he wore to clinch the pennant). But as in 2010, my favorite pickups were non-sports.

First, a full set of DICK TRACY SECRET SERVICE PATROL radio premium badges issued by Quaker Cereals back in 1938. The "Inspector General" and "Patrol Leader" badges are quite rare; in fact, only a handful of the "Patrol Leader" badges are known to exist. The lack of any Dick Tracy identification on the Patrol Leader badge is one reason. The other reason is that exploitation of little kids is not a recent development.

Badges were earned by sending in Quaker Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice boxtops. Two boxtops was all it took to become a Member. You could become a Sergeant for 5 more boxtops. For only 7 more boxtops, a Sergeant could be promoted to Lieutenant. When the Lieutenant sent in another 10, he became a Captain. The highest rank...Inspector General...only took 15 more boxtops. That's right...to become an Inspector General, the poor kid had to eat 39 boxes of cereal! The Patrol Leader rank could be yours if you could recruit five friends to give you two boxtops each and add two more yourself...bringing the total to 51 boxtops to acquire the badges shown in the photo! I suspect the life expectancy of Patrol Leaders was a matter of months.

In 2010, I was amazed to pick up an incredible set of original 1936 "FLASH GORDON" serial lobby cards (chapter 12) in their original Universal Pictures distribution envelope at an antique show. This year, the same seller confessed she had two additional sets...a condition I was pleased to cure. These are from chapter 10 and from the feature version released that same year.

Finally, here's a 1935 Joe Louis chalkware lamp that belonged to my Dad. It took five years to convince my sister that it was my turn to have it at my house. Never seen another one; it's a beauty.

Jeez Rick. Would I love to follow you around a show for a weekend. Your Premiums Collection is mind-boggling, as is your Lobby Card and Ticket Collection. I'm absolutely amazed at the constant top-notch condition of EVERYTHING you have collected, including your superb Baseball Advertising pieces. You RULE Rick!