View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

The card arrived today, and there is a good reason that it looked like such an extreme example of the 'lower ink quantity' version - it was, as Frank suggested, a bad scan. The card did; however, yield some interesting facts.

First, Matty has a redder complexion than the dark card in the first post, which has a yellower complexion. Looping each and studying closely, the reason for this is obvious: The darker card has a layer of light-brown, while the lighter card has a layer of light-red - two very clearly different colors of ink. In addition, the lighter Matty does exhibit the bit of purple in the background, which is the result of light-red ink in that area - perhaps part of the same layer as the light-red highlights. The dark Matty does not have this, or it is more of the light-yellow-brown and simply doesn't do anything except add a bit of darkness.

Regarding the green background - simple print registration issue. The lower green is from the green being printed lower, the higher green is the result of the opposite occurring - I just happened to pick up two extreme examples.

Now I need to pick up more of these to confirm the yellow-brown vs light-red thing. Two examples really isn't enough.

Scans will probably not illustrate this well, but I'll get some when I get home.