View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 04:04 PM

Default Golf Clock - Last P/U for 2011

Photobucket

Posting this the last day of 2011

10 1/2" width at back, chrome plated

This c1930 North British brand golf balls advertising clock is my finale’ pick up for 2011. After a week of negotiating I made the deal Christmas Eve and received it yesterday. The clock hung in the Ben Sayers Ltd. Golf Shop at 56 High Street in North Berwick Scotland. The shop was open between 1934 and 1965…although the Ben Sayers concern had operated since the late 19th century…The Ben Sayers Company continues to this day under different ownership and is believed to be the oldest golf company in the world. I can’t recall many if any sports related advertising clocks of this quality and vintage so I had to get it! It will go perfect with my golf stuff..plus it'll make a cool ticking sound in my collection

Photobucket

Ben Sayers 1858-1924 was an early Scottish golf professional and contemporary of Old Tom Morris. He was one of the leading golf club makers of the late 19th- early 20th century, designed many golf courses in Scotland, and taught golf.

http://www.northberwick.org.uk/sayers.html
Sayers also gave lessons to Her Majesty Queen Alexandra over the nine hole course at Windsor Castle. He gave instruction to the Prince of Wales, Princess Victoria, Duchess of Connaught and Princess Patricia of Connaught. Princess Victoria was a very keen golfer, and Sayers partnered her in several foursome matches at Chatsworth, home to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. During this period Edward VII visited the seven-hole course at Chatsworth for a week in January. A.J. Balfour the prime minister was among the guests and invited professionals included Jack White, J.H. Taylor and Ben Sayers. Courtesy Douglas Seaton

Ben Sayers died in 1924. His son Ben Sayers Junior, himself a pro, was in charge of golf club production from the 1920’s and would have managed the shop where this clock hung.

This is my favorite pick up for 2011…I feel I’ve brought a wee bit’o Scottish golf environment into my living room and plan to do a story on it soon. I will post a photo of it installed in my collection when I get it hung and running…I’m told it will run five days before needing rewound.

Have a Happy New Year!

ADDENDA 1/4/12
Below is the clock installed with my golf stuff. I Just got it hung tonight...I was able to squeeze it in just barely...I left a gap under it so I can put a little plaque giving it's history

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 01-04-2012 at 02:46 AM.