View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Mike H.

Default A Question Regarding Pinback Buttons

As an avid (yet far from advanced) pinback collector, I have benefited greatly from the shared wisdom of friends made through this board, Paul's book, and Hake's guide. However, I would like to hear your opinions regarding do-dads, trinkets, and ribbons, specifically as they relate to value.

My thoughts are that charms (balls, bats, gloves, player figures, animals, rabbits feet, etc) and generic ribbons may add to the esthetics of a pin, but contribute little or no monetary value. Most were added by vendors after the pins were manufactured as a way to make the product more attractive. There are a number of ebay sellers (one in particular) who add them after they purchase them from ebay. I have no issue with this so long as the pieces being added are the same vintage as the pin.

Where things get interesting, is when small pennants or ribbons with team names, event dates, player photos, etc. that can clearly be linked to the event are added. In some cases, these clearly contribute value such as with the 1914 miracle braves pin. It’s less clear when you consider a PM10 of Dizzy Dean with a Cubs pennant attached.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

This question is for Paul…Do the prices from your book reflect the value of the pin pictured, or the pin plus the add on pictured? One example I’m interested in specifically are the 1968 Tigers WS pins. Are the values the same (in your opinion) without the ribbons?