View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Thank you Tony and Rob! That is great stuff! So according to Charlie Bray, at some point in the mid 1950's, somebody was trying to perhaps sell a doctored E95 Wagner. All in the name of $50 T206 Wagner dollars. Fast forward to 1976, and the same card seems to surface again. Three advanced collectors plus two government paper restores couldn't determine that the card had been re-backed. The three collectors start dreaming of dollar signs and actually believe the card to be a new T206 Wagner batting pose.

The 1976 baseball card world is skeptical. Especially since T206 Wagner's are now worth $1500. Alas, a cup of cold water squash's the mens glory. Fast forward to circa year 2000. Two Cincinnati men find a T206 Wagner reprint which perhaps has been re-backed (although that is pure speculation on my part). Well now, how ironic that not much has really changed in the hobby once money started getting involved.

Oh, did somebody mentioned Charlie Bray? I found this small article about Connie Mack and Charlie Bray delightful. It sure would have been neat to pick Connie Mack's brain about every single one of those cards in Bray's album.

Oh (and double Oh), somebody has a neat lower grade rounded corners E95 Honus Wagner in their collection, which has a fascinating story to it and is now part of the hobby's young history.

Lovely Day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connie mack.jpg (84.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg connie mack2.jpg (85.0 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by iggyman; 01-25-2012 at 09:01 AM.