View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 208 more or less

This is easily my favorite set...I guess sometimes I want to collect the master set and sometimes I don't...I think the listed checklists can be confusing.
Here's why:
The variations in pose are usually listed out...those are totally different looking cards. Then there are some slightly different variations...an initial here and an intial there (see Leifield, Latham) , different stat lines (see Wallace, Hoblitzell)
Then you have crazy stuff like Wilhelm with and without R in "suffered" or Mathewson whose Cycle back shows a 37-1 Win/loss record, but those are only present with certain backs. That's just a few examples.

I notice that the checklists above have A+B versions listed on some of the cards I mention above, so if you collected all of those you'd have at least 8 more cards above the 208.

I have quite a few of the errors, but I don't know if I want to pay big money for a stray line of text or a misspelled name variation...maybe
I know this...I have a base set (or maybe I should say a partial master set which consists of all of the front variations...)

So after all these years of collecting this set, I still don't know when I am going to say I am done...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.