View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post

Another interesting aspect is those who collect HOF Postcards. The pricey modern HOFers are practically non-existant in this format. And it really kills me to pay hundreds to get a postcard signed.
I collect HOF signed postcards. It's been a bit of challenge the past few years. For example, Alomar charges the same price for a HOF postcard as he does a bat, and more than a normal flat. Doug Harvey will sign anything if you slip him $5 in the mail, but his exclusive contact with the Bob Feller Museum requires him to charge $45 for a plaque. I do remember Gary Carter signing the HOF plaques for a bit more of a premium when he was first inducted, but then lowered the price to $25 for one on his website.

When I first started collecting them, I thought it was a good idea. Fits in a regular sized envelope for TTM and private signings, and because of the smaller size you can sometimes get a card discount on them (such as $35 for Nolan Ryan through his foundation's website). The only problem is that you cant stock up on them before their Induction like you can an OMLB or a signed rookies....you have to wait until the price goes up. Man, I do miss those Perez-Steele postcards. I still cant believe there isnt a ton of money to be made in that target area of the market.

Anyways, Jeter will never be seen for $20 at the White Plains show. Those guys that appear there (Cepeda, Marichal, Aparicio) made a very small fraction of the money Jeter made in his career. Unless he invests poorly, Jeter wouldnt have to do any type of promotional/signing appearance the rest of his life. That's going to be a major problem for HOF collectors in the future.