View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Steve Birmingham

In addition to the ink density there's the registration. If the cyan is meant to be overlaid by another color but is out of register just right then those areas will look very blue.

At first glance I thought it might be a difference similar to the 62 green tints, but there are too many things that are similar between the two. The blue thread above his right wrist, the dark area at the upper left edge and the blue thread just right of it. Probably a few other small things.

If it was a variation by my defenition (A card from a different plate or plates or from a different place on the same set of plates) There would probably be fewer small mistakes that were common between the cards.

On the registration - Another thing on this card that could be seen as a variation by some is the stripes on the sleeve. One has a dark stripe with orange above and below, while the blue one only has the stripe below.
But it's not an actual difference, the red is printed low enough to hide the upper stripe.

I'm into the variations/varieties as well as printing errors. I'm finding that "varieties" is accepted better than variations when I'm describing something where the plate is different but it's not a deliberate change.

Steve B