View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

Sounds like fun!

The coach I had for little league was both a really good coach and somewhat poor.

The good - No pressure at all. Everyone played and nobody had a problem with it. His whole strategy consisted of reading the lineup and telling us to get out ther and have fun. having two of the three kids in the league who could reliably get the ball over the plate helped. (It became T-ball a year or two after I was out of it) so we all learned to enjoy the game. The only thing we weren't allowed was giving the umpire any lip about anything. That got an immediate benching. Only happened once, and in the middle of an at bat.

The bad? - We had maybe 3-4 practices pre-season, and none during. And little in the way of actual coaching about how to do stuff. Just do it is a great sneaker slogan, but not such a great teaching tool.

We won the league my first year, and were either first or second my second year. Mostly on walks. I think we had one home run over the two years, hit by the catcher who was the typical fat kid. The field was marked as 320 to the snow fencing, and was probably about that far. After being teased the whole game he hit one out. (I'm pretty sure it was the only actual HR there in either season) And as he rounded the bases he stomped on each one looked at the baseman and said "fat". That was a beautiful thing. And more amazing to me as time goes by. He was probably 10? The division had a 13 year age limit, so certainly under 13.

Steve B