View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Barry

Default Advice for "The National"

Well the planets are aligning for the first time and I have been given the "go ahead" by the "powers that be" (i.e. my wife) to attend the National. I have never been and am looking forward to attending, however, I also don't want to spend more time than I need to. My main goals for the convention are as follows:

1. Browse the booths and see what is for sale.
2. Make some headway in finishing the sets that I am collecting and buy some other "cool" stuff.
3. Hand deliver some cards for on site grading.
4. Network with some of the great people that I have met by email, but have yet to meet in person.

My questions regarding my attendance are as follows:

1. How critical is it to attend during the Wednesday "sneak peek"? Are most dealers even set up that early?
2. What type of ticket represents the best value? Are the "all access" and "VIP" passes worth the money? I am not all that interested in the autographs, but cutting an hour or two off of a line for the grading companies would be welcome. Are the additional giveaways worthwhile with the more expensive ticket packages?
3. Are the player autographs something that I should not miss?
4. Are the lines for the grading companies always long, or is there a strategy to use to minimize the lines (and the need for a more expensive ticket)? Is there on site grading available, and, if so when does material need to be dropped off to ensure its return during the show?
5. Are things pretty much torn down by Sunday morning, making attendance on Sunday worthless?
6. I understand that there are several night time auctions during the convention. Is it typically Friday night?

I apologize for being so long winded. Any advice, perspectives or suggestions are welcome on any/all of the questions.

Thanks ahead of time for your responses.