View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

[QUOTE=thecatspajamas;978473]PSA's definition of "Pre-Certified" from their website, near the bottom of the page:

http://www.psacard.com/about/what_is_grading.chtml

"PSA/DNA Pre-Certified
As a hobbyist, you may see the PSA/DNA Pre-Certified logo in various auction house catalogues or online. It is a service unique to auctions and to autographs found within. The purpose of the service is to let the prospective bidders know whether an autographed auction item will pass PSA/DNA should that person win the item and want to send it in for authentication immediately after the auction closes. If you see the Pre-Certified logo, it means the item has been reviewed by our experts and is absolutely guaranteed to pass."

Well, not to throw a monkey wrench in this, but I won a small group of baseballs from a smaller auction a couple years ago. They were PSA pre-certified, and there was one $100 ball and several $10 balls. The auctioneer owed me a favor, so he said he'd send the good ball for an official cert on his dime. Guess what? It failed!

I imagine that the authenticators go through the room, checking out lots. They scan each lot, picking the most desirable or most forged autos and giving them a quick eyeball. How do you guys imagine this works?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com