View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Default W575-1 & E121 Strange Fronts -- *NEW DISCOVERY*

This thread is obviously not for everyone as I doubt there are more than a handful of us that care about these things but I have made what is IMO an important new discovery...

Over the past few years there have been a few W575-1 cards that look very different than the normal W575-1 or E121 blank back. Instead of the normal "block lettering" at bottom on front they exhibit a serif style font that resembles the E135 Collins-mcCarthy or H801 Boston Store cards minus the card # at bottom. Up to this point only three players have been found exhibiting this style font, here are the images of the known checklist (Frank owns the Kelly, Brian P. owns the Schang, and I own the Dauss)...

For comparison here is an image of what a "normal" E135 card looks like along with examples of the regular W575-1/E121 of Kelly and Schang...

Anyways, these three "serif front W575-1" cards all buck the normal trend of W575-1 cards in that while the photos are the same and that the backs are blank, they almost seem to "bridge the gap" from the earlier E135 cards and the later E121/W575-1 cards.

Now for the "NEW DISCOVERY" portion, about a week ago I was browsing ebay and came across a card that after I looked at it I could hardly believe what I was looking at but it at first appeared to be a second example of the W575-1 George Dauss card with the serif front style BUT this card was in fact NOT a W575-1 but has the regular E121 TYPE 1 back. Honestly, I never thought I would see one of these cards exhibiting a E121 back but here he is. I am really kind of at a loss for words here as this card really shouldn't exist and I have never seen another player with the serif front exhibiting an E121 back. It appears this is at least a new legitimate variation for the E121 Series of 80 collectors as it is distinctly different on front (which is what we have long considered a true variation within that set), but beyond that this also opens the door of possibilities that other players may have been made like this within the E121 set (obviously Schang and Kelly are the most likely, but still others may exist)...

I welcome any and all thoughts regarding this new card or the W575-1 "serif-style" cards.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562