View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
I still don't understand the set registry. who cares? People go from collecting the cards to collecting numbers. if people want to collect numbers, I can sell them the number 5, and the number 7, and the number 1, but hurry someone is contemplating buying the number 5 this afternoon.

It's a way for the card companies to make more money, and puts the collector in an endless quest to buy more expensive cards and /or submit them again and again to the same companies to get the "number" they are looking for.

What if the card was blank and just had a big number 8 on it and you kept submitting it to psa until you got the coveted Ted Williams grade on it? Right not it is only an Al Kaline, but keep submitting it to PSA and they might bump it up to Williams.

Insanity. People hung up on numbers. Then they have a ceremony at the end of the year and pat themselves on the back, and usually the multi-millionaires get most of the awards and so what? If I had millions I could put together a near perfect set too in pretty short order. The Dmitri Young collection is for sale and if someone bought it ALL what a collector they would be, huh? It would put them at the top of some registry and they could get a prize and get in the PSA newsletter. Meanwhile the shlub who has been carefully collecting a set for decades under a constrained budget and isn't spending a fortune slabbing them all is some putz, huh? He's not at the top of some chest puffing registry that you could buy your way to the top if you had enough money. I have nothing against wealthy people by the way, I like money. But the registry isn't a fair playing field as far as putting the time in over the years, and simply buying your way on.

They want the mid range collectors to join the registry because they will never be at the top, they will always be behind the wealthiest collectors, but they will try like heck to buy a card that is a little more expensive, that they have to send to psa to get it on their registry, then their registry number will bump up a little bit, and it keeps them hooked to eternally playing the "collecting a number" game.

I collect cards.
I have sets w/ PSA & SGC and use both their registries and it has nothing to do w/ numbers or competition.
Its like having an online checklist of what you have and what you need and both allow scans to be added.
So its pretty handy when you are on the road and want to view your collection.
I also like the uniformity of the slabs. And believe me I won't cash in my $50 PSA-8 for a $1000 PSA-9.
Not all registry participants think in those terms.