View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I feel your pain. With the exception of 3-4 years in elementary/middle school, the only people I had to talk "collectibles" of any sort with were the owners of the various card and comic shops I would frequent. Rare were the times when someone would mention having a collection of anything made earlier than the 1980's, let alone something that I was interested in.

Even now, when people ask what I do for a living and I tell them, "I buy and sell collectibles on the internet," I mostly get amazed stares and the inevitable, "you can actually make a living doing that?" I tell them I'm not getting rich, but do manage to make ends meet, and then the conversation turns to something else (except the rare occasion where they ask me about some "rare" recently-made collectible that they have and I have to break the bad news to them).

I will admit that I am blessed to have made a couple of friends locally in the last few years (that I also do business with) that I can have an actual conversation about "the stuff" with, and there is something refreshing about talking about such things without having to type the conversation.